Netflix has ordered eight episodes of Gods & Heroes, an original anime series set in the world of Greek Mythology. The series tells the story of a young man who, cast aside by his people, learns that he is the illegitimate son of Zeus. He alone can save both Heaven and Earth but to do so he must survive the vengeful wrath of a goddess who wants him dead and the monstrous forces of evil she aligns against him.
Jason O’Mara (Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Mamie Gummer (True Detective), Derek Phillips (Friday Night Lights), Chris Diamantopoulos (Silicon Valley), Jessica Henwick (Luke Cage), Melina Kanakaredes (The Resident), Claudia Christian (Babylon 5), and Elias Toufexis (The Expanse) will all voice characters in the series.
The series hails from Charley and Vlas Parlapanides (Immortals, Death Note), who will serve as creators, writers and executive producers. Powerhouse Animation, the studio behind two Netflix series, Castlevania and the upcoming Seis Manos, are leading animation development and creation for
Gods & Heroes.
“In Gods & Heroes we wanted to tell a wholly original story set in the beloved world of Greek mythology. We are thankful for such an amazing cast and for such great creative partners at Netflix and Powerhouse Animation, who continue to push the envelope and expand the anime genre in a manner we had only dreamed of,” said Vlas and Charley Parlapanides.
“The traditions of global mythology and folklore are fertile ground for anime projects and we are excited to explore the epic settings and characters of Greek mythology in our new series, Gods & Heroes,” said John Derderian, Director of Anime for Netflix. “Charley and Vlas have an outstanding track record of telling gripping stories set in fantastical worlds and we are thrilled to bring their unique vision for the Gods of Mount Olympus to Netflix members around the world.”
Netflix has also entered into partnerships with Anima, Sublimation and David Production, joining Netflix’s earlier deals with Production I.G and bones in 2018.
These production houses and Netflix will jointly create original anime series, including the animated series Altered Carbon: Resleeved from Anima. Altered Carbon is based on Netflix’s original live action science fiction series whose first season launched in February of 2018 and for which a second season is currently in production. Netflix will also partner with Sublimation on Dragon’s Dogma, an original anime series based on the critically acclaimed video game of the same name. Lastly, Netflix will jointly create SPRIGGAN, based on a manga series, with David Production.
These titles join two series that will be produced by Production I.G and bones. They are Production I.G’s Ghost in the Shell: SAC _2045, premiering on Netflix in 2020; and WIT STUDIO’s Vampire in the Garden. Bones will produce Super Crooks, based on the comic book created by writer Mark Millar and artist Leinil Francis Yu.
“Netflix aims to be the most compelling and attractive home for anime fans, creators and production studios. We are creating an environment where production houses can do their best work, and deliver their shows on a service where we connect anime fans from over 190 countries to content they love,” said Netflix Director of Content (Japan), John Derderian.
Production line deals reflect Netflix’s ongoing commitment to grow its original anime library by working closely with top creators in the industry. Production line deals are one of the best ways to secure top craftsmanship throughout every step of the production process, integral to continue bringing the highest quality anime content to members around the world.
Comments from Production Studios:
- Anima Inc., Representative Director, Shinya Sasahara：
“We’re particularly excited by the production line deal as this allows our creative team to focus on creating great content. We are proud to work on a well-known title like Altered Carbon as the first title from this partnership, and to have the opportunity to bring our creation to fans all over the world. Please look forward to anime unique to anima.”
- Sublimation Inc., Representative Director, Atsushi Koishikawa：
“The Sublimation team has long dreamed of working on our own title. We have oftentimes worked with partner studios to create partial CGI portions within a given title, so we feel very fortunate to work with Netflix through this production line deal. We’re excited to bring our unique cel shaded animation that carries hand-drawn textures to anime fans around the world.”
- David Production Inc., President and CEO, Koji Kajita:
“This deal opens us to story development for international audiences beyond Japan, as well as the chance to explore new technologies and creative expressions on a long-term basis. With this new opportunity, we are ready to devote our creative passion as a player in the Japanese anime production space.”
- Production I.G, Inc., President & CEO, Mitsuhisa Ishikawa：
“Through our partnership with Netflix, we are able to secure the necessary amount of time for bold creative challenges, and deliver great content with consistency. It is exciting that this production line deal has allowed our creators at Production I.G and WIT STUDIO to move beyond the Japanese anime business ecosystem. This is a great opportunity that challenges us to deliver content unique to our talents to fans all over the world.”
- bones.inc, Representative Director, Masahiko Minami：
“This partnership allows our creators to engage with the global anime fanbase. We look forward to a long-term partnership with Netflix to deliver content that touches the hearts of anime fans, regardless of nationality or age.”
About titles from production line deals:
- Altered Carbon: Resleeved – anima Inc. – This anime feature spin-off, set in the same universe of the Netflix original live-action sci-fi series (second season in production from Skydance Television), will explore new elements of the story mythology.
- Dragon’s Dogma – Sublimation Inc. – Based on a world-famous action RPG set in an open world, Dragon’s Dogma from CAPCOM will be brought to life as a Netflix original anime series. The story follows a man’s journey seeking revenge on a dragon who stole his heart. On his way, the man is brought back to life as an ‘Arisen’. An action adventure about a man challenged by demons who represent the seven deadly sins of humans.
- SPRIGGAN – David Production Inc. – Netflix original anime based on classic manga by Hiroshi Takashige, illustrated by Ryoji Minagawa. Edgy sci-fi battle action about a man with supernatural powers to seal historical remains.
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC _2045 – Production I.G, Inc. – Created by Masamune Shiro, the sequel of much acclaimed Ghost In the Shell SAC series has come back as a full 3DCG anime series. Directors Kenji Kamiyama, Shinji Aramaki and SOLA DIGITAL ARTS will collaborate once again following ULTRAMAN (streaming 1 April on Netflix). This is the first Ghost In the Shell series to be brought to fans with a double director.
- Vampire in the Garden – WIT STUDIO – An original series by WIT STUDIO on two girls Momo and Fine from different backgrounds who meet by chance. A story about an unlikely friendship between human and vampire race that intertwines with the power or music.
- Super Crooks – bones.inc – A story by Mark Millar and artist Leinil Francis Yu, the creators of Kick Ass and Wanted. Crime and thrills meets supernatural powers in this Millarworld title.